ADSM-L

Expiration not finishing (was HELP!!)

1996-10-10 07:02:17
Subject: Expiration not finishing (was HELP!!)
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 12:02:17 +0100
Don, Yes, we too have a serious inability to accomplish EXPIRATION too.

Our DB is 14GB on AIX server and the last time it finished was a few weeks
ago - it took 3 days and expired about 500,000 files out of a total of
18 million. We have 770 registered nodes. I think we achieve 2 file
expirations a second.

Our BUFPOOLSIZE is 10MB and I am just increasing it to 16MB; we typically
see about 92-95% cache hits - so that may imrove things a little.

We have to abandon the task each monday morning now - we allow about 48 hours
and we can't really even afford that much dedicated time!

We cannot accomplish any other server task simultaneously with EXPIRATION -
e.g. backup stg or migration crawl along at about 0.5 MB/sec which is
nowhere near our desired performance levels.

I'd like to see a feature where tasks like expiration could automatically
resume when the server is otherwise a bit quiet and throttle back when
there are more pressing demands ... otherwise I can't see a way of doing
this on our system. Sites could define their own priorities.

If anyone has already written a high level ADSM scheduler to do this sort of
thing - on AIX - I'd love to hear from you ...

Thanks. Regards, Sheelagh

Is anyone having/have had a problem getting the expiration process to run.  We
Is anyone having/have had a problem getting the expiration process to run.  We
are running ADSM 2.1.09 on a MVS server.  We have a 16 gigabyte ADSM database
with 325 clients (os/2,Mac,SUN,AIX) I am not sure when the expiration process
last ran successfully.  According to IBM with our size of database it will take
between 75-125 HOURS to complete the expiration process!!!  Whenever expiration
runs it seems our ADSM performance suffers significantly.  (Migrations,
Backups), we also experience hangs that cause us to bounce ADSM on the server.
IBM has given us a TRACE to run but the degradation caused by that is more then
the expiration problem.  I hope I am not the only one with this problem?  Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks
Don.Ludwig AT ccmail.fingerhut DOT com

Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275