ADSM-L

Q Event Status

1996-10-09 15:52:41
Subject: Q Event Status
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:52:41 PDT
>We have an NT client who's been backing up to a VM server just fine until
>recently she started getting TCPIP connection failure errors.  When I do a
>Q EVENT to check the status of her previous scheduled backups the status
>reads "uncertain".  Does anyone know what this status indicates?  I can't
>seem to find it anywhere in the manuals, and her dsmsched.log file shows
>everything to have worked fine.  I'm wondering if this might have something
>to do with her eventual failure.

As I recall, event status of "uncertain" was added to the V1 service stream,
so it is probably not documented in the V1 manuals.  It is documented in the
V2 manuals and should have been mentioned in the documentation for the
V1 PTF in which it was added.

The "uncertain" event status is not related to the eventual
connection failures.  Query Event uses this state when it displays
information about an event for which the event record may have been
deleted.  For example, if event records prior to time t have been
deleted, an event scheduled for time t - x would show "uncertain"
status, because the server does not know the actual status of the
event without having an event record.  The server does not even know
whether the event record is absent because the server was halted and
did not generate the record (a "missed" event) or because the record
was deleted (based on event record retention or via the Delete Event
command).  In this situation, Query Event displays what information it
can surmise from other database tables, but the status is "uncertain".

Hope this helps.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development