ADSM-L

ADSM Unix Client and MAXDSIZ

1996-10-09 12:08:42
Subject: ADSM Unix Client and MAXDSIZ
From: Mike Knight <knightm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:08:42 EDT
From: Mike Knight, ISSC Aerospace, (314)234-5096, KNIGHTM at ISSCVM
Inet:                                             KNIGHTM AT VNET.IBM DOT COM

FYI for sites with large Unix clients.  We had a problem with backups on
an HP-UX ADSM client failing every night with "ANS4033E System ran out
of memory".  The ADSM client had allocated all 128MB of the maximum data
segment size allowed for a single process.  We increased the HP-UX
MAXDSIZ kernel parameter to 192MB and backups now run to completion.

Background:  This happened during the 16th file space in a list of 17.
There are 250,000 total files, but only 20,000 on this file system.
We changed the order of the domain statements and it always failed on
one near the end of the list.  A backup of just that file space in a
separate schedule worked fine.  Detailed analysis showed the client
process using more and more memory until it hit the system limit.
The client is 2.1.0.3, HP-UX is 9.01.

         Mike (Not ADSM Support) Knight