ADSM-L

AW: Netware-Client: slow restore perform

1996-10-07 04:41:24
Subject: AW: Netware-Client: slow restore perform
From: "Meyer, Rolf" <Rolf.Meyer AT HAMBURG.REEMTSMA.ATLAS400 DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 10:41:24 +0200
=0C

     Matthias Brasch wrote:

     >I'm using ADSM-server V2.1 L09/09 on MVS and NetWare-Clients V2.1 L=
03/L05
     for
     >NetWare 4.1.
     >I want to restore a directory and all its subdirectories ( about 20=
0 files
     ).
     >The directory is deleted on the novell-server so that I have inacti=
ve
     files.
     >The number of files stored for this server is 840.000, my database =
has a
     size
     >of 1.5 GB and is 75% full.
     >I know the complete path and so I give the following command :
     > 'restore serv_name=D6vol1:daten=D6depart=D6install=D6img=D6db2_211=
=D6windows=D6en=D6fix=D6*
      -su=3Dy
     >-latest -replace=3Dyes'
     >From now on it takes nearly 1 hour until adsm starts to restore the=
 files.
     >After starting the restore takes about 10 minutes.
     >There is many IO-operation on the host, ADSM seems to look through =
the
     whole
     >database.

     >I think that can't be 'working as designed'...

     >Is'nt there any indexing on the database ?
     >Would it help to split one client into more than one 'adsm-node'  t=
o have
     faster
     >access to the database ?

     Hallo Matthias,
     I have the same experiences with our LANServer (around 350.000 files=
). I'm
     always happy, if the user comes at once after he/she has deleted som=
     important files.

     The search time if you restore with the option -inactive=3Dyes is ar=
ound 15 to
     20 minutes.
     For this reason a splitted the ADSM environment into four (!) MVS se=
rvers,
     running version 2.1 to separate LAN Server-, UNIX and WinNT producti=
on-,
     UNIX and WinNT test- and commen ADSM testclients. The overall needs =
for DB
     space on disk is nearly equal, but performance especially in the UNI=
X and
     WinNt environment are much more better.

     I would also like to have some performance improvements in this area=
 of the
     product.

     Greetings to all friends of ADSM

     Rolf Meyer
     Reemtsma Cigarettenfabriken GmbH

     rolf.meyer AT hamburg.reemtsma.atlas400 DOT de