ADSM-L

new info on restoring HP empty directories

1996-10-03 12:30:44
Subject: new info on restoring HP empty directories
From: Diane Ashby <Diane.Ashby AT TORO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 11:30:44 -0500
My previously stated concern with restoration of HP empty directories was
perhaps not precise:
--we back up a server, excluding many of our Oracle paths since these are
archived in conjunction with
Backint;
Backint;
--even though the data is excluded from backup, as you know, ADSM backs up
directories, both empty
and used;
and used;
--at restore time even though ADSM has backups of the empty directories--which
were in the excluded
path--it doesn't restore them, presumably because of the exclude list;
path--it doesn't restore them, presumably because of the exclude list;
--following restore, retrieval of the archived Oracle data doesn't retrieve
empty directories either.
i.e., Am I doing something wrong or unwisely?  I want to be confident that I
can set things back exactly
i.e., Am I doing something wrong or unwisely?  I want to be confident that I
can set things back exactly
as they were at the time I  fully covered myself; if I've fully and reasonably
used ADSM in good faith, then
I want it to respond by restor/retrieving fully.  If I'm ignorant of a feature
which would allow my
restor/retrieving empty directories, I can correct that; I just don't want to
have to redundantly backup and
archive data just to ensure I get my empty directories back.

AIX 4.1.3, ADSM 2.1.0.8
--Diane
diane.ashby AT toro DOT com
diane.ashby AT toro DOT com