ADSM-L

Reply to Re: Client Installat

1996-10-02 12:23:00
Subject: Reply to Re: Client Installat
From: Mike Stewart <STEWAJM AT AUDUCADM.DUC.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 10:23:00 -06
*** Original Author:  ADSM-L @ MARIST - ** Remote User **; 10/02/96 09:23am

>To:           Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

I am in TOTAL agreement with you.  This particular topic should be a
SHARE/GUIDE/COMMON
project with the ADSM group heavily involved.  It seems to be another case
where IBM
lives in a bubble and doesn't realize what real folk do during the day.
Like asking us
to re-ipl the machine to see if it will fix the problem.

At 03:27 PM 10/1/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Date:     October 1, 1996            Time:    13:53
>From:    Jerry Lawson
>    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
>    (860) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
>This is intended as a constructive response to the posting from Mike Collins
>about Client Installation issues.  Mike posted a very informative note the
>other day, and I have taken my time in responding in hopes that I would get my
.
.
.
>the list before you had made these changes.  I am always more than happy to
>provide my input (as you can tell from this note).
>

>If anyone else got this far - do you agree?  Disagree?  Should I keep quiet?

>Jerry Lawson
>ITT Hartford Insurance Group
>jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
>
>PS.  Mike - if you designed the Win32 Admin client - great job - I am pleased,
>and it seems to perform well too.

*** Comments From: STEWAJM - Stewart, Mike; 10/02/96 09:52am

IBM, thanks for the hint on using the Install Shield silent mode.
That should give us what we need, both for ADSM and other
non-IBM products which we distribute as well.

Most of our clients are Windows-based PC's.
Along with ADSM we must distribute a number of
other products, such as TN3270 and telnet clients, newsreaders,
Web browsers, etc.

An automatic download would have to handle other products,
and allow some level of customization during the install
in order for it to be _really_ useful for us.

We've developed in-house code which runs on client machines
to track what software is currently installed, check for
later available versions, and allow users to "click" a button
to kick off an FTP download, install, and customization.