ADSM-L

Incremental by Date.

2015-10-04 18:12:49
Subject: Incremental by Date.
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 10/1/96 5:43PM
> BTW any options that can be placed on the dsmc command line
> can be placed in the options field of the schedule.  It will
> override what is defined in the client's options file.

Has anyone submitted a requirement to be able to specify an override to
Include/Exclude on the options file?

My thought process goes something like this:  I want to back up a DB (lets say
a Lotus Notes DB) on a weekly basis, and let the Notes client do the daily
backups of the changed documents.  Other data on the machine needs to be
backed up daily, so an incremental backup of the rest of the machine is done
each day.  I set up the options file to Exclude the Notes DB(s).  Now, to get
the weekly backup of the Notes DB(s), I need to either change the DSM.OPT file
before the backup runs and change it back after.  Oh, yes, I have to stop and
start the scheduler too.  The other option is to have a second node defined,
and let it do the full DB backups only.  This means an extra license.......

If I could specify an "Include" statement on the options field of the
schedule, I could merely specify a second schedule to do the weekly DB
backups, and have the regular schedule do the rest, without any Include overri
de.  Perhaps the option could also point to an alternate I/E list that would
be used in lieu of the one in the DSM.OPT.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com