ADSM-L

ADSM in an SMP environment...

1996-10-01 17:52:04
Subject: ADSM in an SMP environment...
From: Mike Kaczmarski <kacz AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 14:52:04 -0700
Dwight Cook writes:
 >      Once again, I'm ignorant... and will grovel at the feet of any who
 >      wish to come to my aid...
 >
 >      RS/6000's (SMP) and ADSM 2.1.5.x AND ADSM 2.1.0.x
 >
 >      Is there any binding of tasks to a specific processor with ADSM
 >      2.1.5.x in a SMP environment?
 >
 >      I remember some folks mentioning backing off 5.x to 0.x...
 >      Is there any problems with running ADSM 2.1.0.x in a SMP environment,
 >      say on a R40 ? (Ok, R40's are kind of new so let's say any SMP box)
 >
 >      I'm happy with adsm 2.1.0.9 but it has been seen that a larger engine
 >      than the 591 & 59H that we are running on could be beneficial in our
 >      environments... some user feed back would be nice before our next
 >      major purchase of hardware.... Oh, the existing environments are not
 >      being removed... there is just a few more terabytes in need of backup.
 >
 >      later
 >           Dwight
 >                 always grateful for your views
 >                                               Cook

The ADSM AIX server 2.1.5.X code utilizes the POSIX threads
implemented in AIX 4.1.4+ to support light-weight threading which
helps performance somewhat on SMP machines.

The ADSM AIX server 2.1.0.X server uses a kernel extension and
heavy-weight processes and can run on AIX 3.5+.  If you choose to run
the 2.1.0.X server on an SMP machine, we reccommed that you bind the
executable to a single CPU for better performance.  There is a sample
script named bind.dsmserv that is provided to do this for you.

Mike Kaczmarski