ADSM-L

Re: Client install process

1996-09-27 10:26:06
Subject: Re: Client install process
From: Lowell Shulman <lowell AT NY.UBS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 10:26:06 -0400

> While the group is talking about the client install process...
>
> I have about 500 ADSM clients of various platforms that I maintain.
> When a new version is released, it is I who must upgrade each client.
> This currently is a client-by-client process and takes weeks.  What
> would be really nice is to put the new client code on the ADSM Server
> and set a switch that would cause each client to download the new client
> and install it automatically during the next incremental backup.
>
> Any thoughts from the group or from IBM on this idea.

The answer is probably Netview/DM or TME10 Software Distribution as they now
call it.

A kludge might be to upgrade one workstation and backup the adsm directory,
then restore -fromnode on the other clients.  The only issue would be to
restore to another directory than the current adsm one because the dsmc
would be in use.

Regards,
Lowell

lowell AT tkg DOT com                 The Kernel Group, Inc.