ADSM-L

Re: Notes Backup Agent

1996-09-26 19:27:50
Subject: Re: Notes Backup Agent
From: "Paul C. Beck" <beckpau AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 18:27:50 EST
** Reply to note from Ron Ritchey <OSG0312%UNLVM.BITNET AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 14:08:22 CDT

>>  I have the ADSM Notes Agent installed. Is there a way to schedule
>>  the backups through Notes? If not, what is the best way to make
>>  sure it gets executed once a night?

   First, you should get the IBM Redbook "Using ADSM To Back Up Lotus Notes",
document number
SG24-4534.  That answers your questions in much more detail than you'll get
here.

   I use program documents in the Notes name and address book, one per Notes
server, to
schedule Notes incremental backups.  Gives me a central location, since I've
got 12 backup
servers, to check backup scheduling.

   The second part of your question is more complicated to answer - the best
way to make sure
it gets executed.  Making sure implies getting feedback from the Notes agent
that the backup
occurred and completed successfully.  There is not easy way to do that.  The
Redbook
recommends punching the LOG.DSM file that the ADSM Notes agent creates into the
Notes LOG.NSF
(system log) file, which still leaves a manual process of checking the logs.

>>  It is only backing up the databases in the NOTES/DATA directory. How
>>  do I get it to backup the mail databases as well? I added
>>  INCLUDE ?:\MAIL\* and it still doesn't backup the mail files.

   The \notes\data directory should be pointed to by the $NOTESDIR variable in
you NOTES.INI
file.  If you don't already have a directory link to the MAIL directory, set
one up.
Remember to execute the ADSM Notes agent with the '-subdir=Y' option.

18:27:43    09/26/96
18:27:43    09/26/96
Paul C. Beck
Sr. Systems Engineer