ADSM-L

Reduction of Database

1996-09-25 04:35:17
Subject: Reduction of Database
From: "WEBO@MT0004 (O.Weber)" <othmar_weber AT E-MAIL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 04:35:17 EDT
Hi there!

We are running ADSM V2.1 on MVS. After deleting some filespaces I
tried to reduce the size of the server database but encountered the
following problem:

The ADSM database can't be reduced athough more than half of the
pages are not used. The command "Q DB F=D" revealed the following:

          Available Space (MB): 2 728
        Assigned Capacity (MB): 2 312
        Maximum Extension (MB): 416
        Maximum Reduction (MB): 0                   <-----
             Page Size (bytes): 4 096
            Total Usable Pages: 591 872             <-----
                    Used Pages: 203 596             <-----
                         %Util: 34,4
                    Max. %Util: 47,7
              Physical Volumes: 12
             Buffer Pool Pages: 512
         Total Buffer Requests: 45 124 233
                Cache Hit Pct.: 72,88
               Cache Wait Pct.: 0,00
           Backup in Progress?: No
    Type of Backup In Progress:
  Incrementals Since Last Full: 0
Changed Since Last Backup (MB): 0,05
            Percentage Changed: 0,01
Last Complete Backup Date/Time: 24.09.1996 14:22:44

I told the problem to IBM but the guy there said that this can happen
when the database pages are spread all over the database volumes. He
told me to do a DBDUMP and DBLOAD. So I have worse experience with
this commands (this is another story) I would only use them if this
were the only way. One thing I tried: I defined a new database volume
and deleted an old one. Then I defined the old one as new volume and
deleted another old one and so on. Unfortunately this had no effect.

Has anyone experiences with this problem? Any help would be
appreciated.

Othmar Weber
BAYER AG Germany
othmar_weber at e-mail.com