ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 18:13:28
Hi,

using OS2 ADSM GUI I tried do something I believed would be absolutely simple:

        1) create a project backup
        2) restore it to a different destination.

Background:
***************

The purpose of a project backup (at least for us) is to save files / directory
tree / directory trees belonging to a project,
thus saving project in sertain stage in defined state (e.g. first delivery). It
is somewhat similar to version control,
but it saves files which are unlikely to be saved in version control - like
intermediate files,
listings, executables, small utilities, ..., which would overhelm both common
version control machines
and version managers.

So a project backup is a method how to save somebody´s data,
and enable it later for another person to work on it.

Unlike with daily incremental backup,
files which we save as project backup will be probably be deleted
just after backup, and remain for some period of time in backup pool only.

Unlike daily incremental backups, a project backup is usually
not supposed to be restored neither to its original location, nor by the same
person.

Now I wonder how can I do this with ADSM.
I believed Archive & Retrieve would be exactly what we need, but:

   A)  Archive/Retrieve uses FileSpaceName as main way to search for saved data.
        A user, which shall work with an old project - which probably existed
for months in the backup-pool only)
        should not have to know what file space were this data previosly saved
from. He is working on another
        computer, having possibly assigned another network drives.
        A work-around  can be hand-written documentation for all Archives,
        but what would actually would be needed is:
        -- possibility to search for Archived data  using only name
(description) of Archive.

actual problem:
******************
 B) Because the user doing restore works on another computer,
        and uses another directories,
        he will probably not like to retrieve Archived data to their original
location.
        In contrast, he will have to select "Retrieve to following destination".
        But - in this case the directory structure of archive gets lost!

***********

Example:
I archived all data from T:

        T:\file.A
        T:\dir1\file.B
        T:\dir1\dir2\file.C

Then I retrieved them using "Retrieve to following destination"   "X:\newdir"
"include subdiretories=yes"
The result is:
        X:\newdir\file.A
        X:\newdir\file.B
        X:\newdir\file.C

Which is absolutely unusable!

Retrieve to original destination worked correctly.

*********************************************************************************************************************
*********************************************************************************************************************
*************  If this is not a bug - what can I do better?
*********************************************************************************************************************
*********************************************************************************************************************
IBM: is there a way how to use ADSM for project backups? Or any plans for it?
        once again - the wanted functionality is very simple -  e.g:
                1) user me:             archive .\*.*   including
subdirectories;   name it "MyProjectArchive XYZ"
                2) user me or admin:    allow users he,she to restore
"MyProjectArchive XYZ"
                3) user he or she:              retrieve "MyProjectArchive XYZ"
to .\ including subdirectories without bothering with file space names
This is what all simple backup programs do - most of them are limited to that.
Once being ADSM user I do not like the idea of using a tar or cpio or anything
else in addition to this inteligent software.

Juraj SALAK,
KEBA Banking,
Linz, Austria
e-mail: sal AT keba.co DOT at