ADSM-L

Re: Finding out the location of a file for restore

2015-10-04 18:13:28
Subject: Re: Finding out the location of a file for restore
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 9/18/96 5:26PM
    SHOW VOLUMEUSA  node

Where node is the node id you are trying to restore.  What this will give you
is a list of the TSNs that a client is using - only TSNs - not information
like file name etc.  You could do a Query Content to find the actual file name
, but that sounds like a real pain.

I am not sure when this command became available - it works on my Version 2
server, and I think I remember someone saying it was made available at a given
PTF on Version 1 of MVS, but do not know when.  You might check the archives
of this list.....  As I said - it is unsupported - I also think I remember IBM
saying that maybe sometime on the future they would have a supported
replacement for it.

Oh yes - this command is slow, as it searches through your whole DB.  also,
beware that if a client has a lot of tapes, the info may roll off the screen.
If I am unsure, I pipe the output to a dataset, and then look there when it is
complete.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com