ADSM-L

Backing up Macintosh files on NT Server

2015-10-04 18:13:28
Subject: Backing up Macintosh files on NT Server
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 9/18/96 4:00PM
You asked 2 questions:

> 1.  Am I using the newest version of the client?  I could not tell from the
>  FTP server and do not know where else to look.

As of late yesterday, I saw a notice that the level 5 PTFs are just being
released.  If you have looked on the FTP server in the ADSM fixes area, you
have found that the clients are stored by PTF number (IPxxxxxx) in a disk
image format.  You should have some idea what the current PTF number you have
from the read me file - for the Win32 client at level 3, it was IP20681.  For
all intents and purposes, this is the latest GUI client release, as level 4
contained only fixes for the API.  The latest PTF information is in an
informational APAR II07777.  This APAR is also stored on the FTP server, and
is often copied and mailed out to this list.  However, it is not always as
currrent as we might like (hint - sorry IBM). The only other places to look
for the maintenance,  are the mirror sites for the FTP server (which of course
can't be any newer), or you can order the maintenance through IBMLink.

> 2.  What is a PTF and has one been released that allows backing up of
>  Macintosh files?

PTF is an Acronym for Program Temporary Fix - one of the better Oxymorons of
our time.  :-)  (Again - Sorry IBM).  It is IBM's lingo for the latest
maintenance release, and apart from the IPxxxxxx numbers mentioned above, is
also the lowest level of the version level string (2.1.0.3 - the 3 being the
PTF level that associates to IP20861 for Win32).  By the way, the IPxxxxx
number is different for each client platform, so be careful.

As for the Macintosh file fix - I need to see this to, but haven't heard.
Best to check the readme file.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com