ADSM-L

Re: Scratch tapes question

1996-09-06 08:29:58
Subject: Re: Scratch tapes question
From: Dirk Kastens <dkastens AT RZ.UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 14:29:58 +0200
On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Basic questions I have:
> -Does each tape with ADSM has to be labeled whether it will be used
> as a scratch tape or not?

Yes. You have to label each tape first. Then you have to check the
volume into a library using
   checkin libvolume libraryname volname type=private/scratch
Here you decide whether it should be a scratch volume or not.
After that, you define your storage pools and decide how many
scratch volumes they should use (maxscratch option).

> -If I have a tape and ADSM loads it as a scratch tape how will ADSM
> now not to start from the beggining the next time?

After loading a scratch volume the volume gets the private status
and belongs to the storage pool it was chosen from. If you delete
the volume using "delete volume volname discarddata=yes" the
volume becomes a scratch volume again and can be used by any other
storage pool.
Hope this helps,

Regards,

Dirk Kastens _______________Dirk.Kastens AT rz.Uni-Osnabrueck DOT DE
Universitaet Osnabrueck     Phone: +49/541/969-2347 (work)
Rechenzentrum               Fax:   +49/541/969-2470 (work)
Albrechtstr. 28             Phone: +49/541/258182   (private)
49069 Osnabrueck
Germany