ADSM-L

Cartridge Drive Utilisation

1996-09-06 01:36:00
Subject: Cartridge Drive Utilisation
From: Dianne Sharp <DSHARP AT CLEAR.CO DOT NZ>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 17:36:00 +1200
We are about to implement ADSM V1 Server for MVS into our Production
environment and I have a few questions about Cartridge Drive
Utilisation.

I know you can specify a mount limit for the storage pool.  Currently we
have this set to 2 because we will be performing reclamation.

1.  We have one backup disk pool, but it is not very large (only 2-4GB).
 We will be backing up over 20GB nightly.  Therefore, we will be
migrating data to cartridge quite often during the night.  We only have
6 cartridge drives and they are used regularly during the night for
Mainframe backups and other Production processing.  Is there any way of
controlling when migration can and can't take place based on time, or
are there commands that we can issue, preferably through an automated
batch job or something, that can disable and enable migration at certain
points of the night?

2.  Reclamation is another concern.  If we have reclamation turned on,
can we control when it happens?  I'm worried that if it kicks in and
then a migration process is scheduled, that it might hold up backups
that are currently running.
Would it be better to set the threshold to 100% and just change it when
you want this to run?   This is a bit messy because you'd have to
remember to change it back again - unless this is also something that
can be automated somehow.

I have read something about Admin commands being able to be scheduled
with Version 2.   We will be getting version 2 in a few month's, but the
initial implementation will be Version 1 - I won't go into the reasons
for that.

Any help would be much appreciated.