ADSM-L

Space Management Question

1996-09-05 12:33:42
Subject: Space Management Question
From: Jeff Renicker <jrenicker AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 12:33:42 EDT
Hi all!

We're thinking of installing the Space Management client and were wondering
how well it's working at other sites.  I heard some rumors in the early days
of the Space Management client that it had problems in reliability and
function.  Have these been fixed?  Has anyone had any failures in space
management (e.g. failure to recall a file, backups failing on managed file
systems, etc).  Also, how do you handle disaster recovery for files that
have been migrated by the space mangement client?

Our environment is:
  RS/6000 SP complex with 7 nodes
  SAP/R3
  Oracle 7.x database

Our goal is to have space management control files for long term storage
which are only used occasionally (e.g. once per quarter or year).  We don't
really want to use manual archiving because it's too, well, manual.  We think
the Space Management client is a better solution, but would like to hear
the opinions of folks who are already using it.

If anyone has any comments or words of wisdom I'd sure appreciate hearing
from you.

Thanx!!

Jeff Renicker
jrenicker AT vnet.ibm DOT com