ADSM-L

AIX Server Hardware

1996-09-03 16:20:53
Subject: AIX Server Hardware
From: Jeff Reichard <jtr AT LELAND.STANFORD DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 13:20:53 -0700
We have a question for folks on the list using the AIX ADSM server on an
RS-6000.  We're currently using an RS-6000 C10 with 128 MB RAM.  It's
running AIX 4.1.3 and ADSM Server version 2.1.3.  Our disk storage pools,
database, and log are on 8 4.5 GB EMC disks connected via one SCSI port to
the server.  Our tape storage pools are on a 3494 Magstar tape library using
two 3590 drives.

Our current ADSM setup is as follows:
ADSM Database: 4 GB mirrored
ADSM Log:       756 MB mirrored
Primary storage pools:  400 GB data used, 400 GB free
Copy storage pools:     400 GB data used, 400 GB free
Daily incremental backup volume:        12 GB

We've noticed that our CPU use during many daily processes (reclamation,
inventory expiration) seems to be creating a bottleneck.  The SAR -Q
command, for example, shows our cpu queue frequently around 2.6, and
sometimes up to 3.

And now the question for those of you also using the AIX server: what
hardware configurations are you using - especially what kind of RS-6000?
The C10 seems underpowered in both processor and SCSI ports for our needs.
Are the kind of CPU loads we're seeing normal for this product and platform?
We're trying to figure out what, if anything, we'd gain by upgrading our
server to a faster RS-6000.  Any advice folks here could offer would be
appreciated,

Jeff Reichard
Ota Likar

Stanford Unix Systems Group