ADSM-L

Re: Suggestion for "Move Data" final message

1996-08-29 08:56:26
Subject: Re: Suggestion for "Move Data" final message
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 13:56:26 +0100
On Mon, 26 Aug 1996  Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> wrote:

>The final Activity Log message for the Move Data command is simply:
>    "ANR1141I Move data process ended for volume XXXXXX".
>This is annoyingly lacking in providing no information about the amount
>of data moved, which would provide important insight into both the
>success of the event and of the volume of data on the tape.  What is
>needed is something like the excellent ANR1214I message which comes out
>of a Backup Stgpool, which summarizes the number of files, bytes, and
>unreadable files and bytes.  In the absence of this information we are
>left to do Query Process commands as the Move Data progresses to get a
>sense of what's happening.
>    If this could be incorporated into a future release it woule be
>much appreciated.
>         thanks,  Richard Sims, Boston University OIT

I strongly support Richard's comments and would also like to see the
completion message from MOVE DATA command improved in this way.

I would be an even happier person if all tasks reported about their
work done in the activity log in a complete and consistent way - BACKUP
STG gets it right; MIGRATION, MOVE DATA, RECLAMATION should do the same.
This would help me a great deal in gathering system performance data as
well as just tracking what happens on a day to day basis.

Also, it would be very helpful if when a tape was mounted the message
in the activity log indicated for which process or for which session the
tape was required. It would also be helpful to know how much data was read/
written. This would help in audit trailing and also in determining tape and
deck performance.

Thanks! Regards, Sheelagh

Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275