ADSM-L

Windows Scheduler problems?

2015-10-04 18:14:04
Subject: Windows Scheduler problems?
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 8/27/96 11:29AM
IC14030 - This APAR was opened when it was discovered that any number of key
strokes (such as the ALT key) would cause the display to freeze on the
scheduler window (if the window was active).  Hitting a space bar would cause
the display to pick up again at the correct interval.  However, the worst part
was that if the scheduler session was minimized (and not the current session)
hitting the CAPS LOCK" key will cause the same effect.  If you have fat
fingers like me - you never know when this will happen.  As with the other
scenario, bringing the session to the foreground and hitting a space bar will
start it up again, but......  Also, I am not sure that this occurs EVERY time,
but it was pretty consistent and recreateable.

So, when the APAR was taken, it was suggested that we use prompted mode
scheduling, since all of our clients were running TCP/IP.  However, we had
problems with some clients not being able to start a prompted mode session - a
message came back indicating that Polling mode would be used.   So, APAR
IC14298 was opened - the problem was that the scheduler was having problems
finding WINSOCK.DLL - wasn't looking in Windows\System specifically.  You can
circumvent this one by adding Windows\system to the path statement.

And so we got the guys in prompted mode, and the session started, but the
scheduler couldn't contact the clients back.  APAR IC14505 was taken in
response to this one.  I don't know the details on this one, but have heard
through the grapevine that a fix for it may be on the Level 5 PTF, when it
makes it's arrival.  No promises, though, I suppose.

As of a few minutes ago, all of these APARS are still open.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com