ADSM-L

Re: What is the consensus on 8mm tape drives?

1996-08-26 13:29:51
Subject: Re: What is the consensus on 8mm tape drives?
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 12:29:51 -0500
     Upgrade and give your 8mm tapes to a friend with a camcorder !
     We had to keep 5 8mm drives around just so we could keep two active at
     a time... once I had 2 running, 2 being repaired, 1 broken... the 2
     running went bad and when I got the 2 in from repairs... only one
     worked...and I would hate to be involved in a tax audit where the 8
     year old data was on 8mm tape... I had about 700 8mm tapes to get me
     thru until the 3590's came in... granted it you hae a very frequent
     cleaning schedule 8mm's do better but I saw about 0.5% tapes get
     errors out of the box, @2% errors on reads after only one write and
     maybe 5-7% errors on 2nd writes... I reached the point where I would
     write only once, then with critical data make two copies... and at
     20-30$$$ per tape it wasn't cheap...
     later
           Dwight