ADSM-L

Re: Expiring database backup backup volumes

1996-08-22 13:13:00
Subject: Re: Expiring database backup backup volumes
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 13:13:00 -0400
I write the full db backups to tape, but the triggered incrementals go to
disk.  I did change the ACS routines to give those files a mgmtclas with
the proper retention period;  I couldn't see any other way to do it.  You
could capture the dataset name from ANR?? messages issued when the backup
completes and have your console aoutomation product alter the mgmtclas.  I
didn't do it this way becasue I didn't have a proper mgmtclas, so I had to
change SMS anyway.

If a dbbackup disk file is not deleted by sms before a VOLH delete command
is issued, ADSM will wait while the file is recalled by HSM before it is
deleted.  This isn't directly an ADSM bug, but a long standing 'feature' of
DFP/FDSMS.

Bill Colwell
The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory
Cambridge Ma.