ADSM-L

Re: OS/2 disaster recovery

2015-10-04 18:14:04
Subject: Re: OS/2 disaster recovery
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 8/21/96 12:30PM
Are you starting the CMSTART from an OS/2 window - command line - yes you can
do that - but the window closes, and other windows are launched.  It therefore
expects the desktop to be active.  The rescue disk principle basically is the
same as if you started an OS/2 install from the installation disks, and at the
end of the second disk, where it asks you if you want to continue, you say
"NO".  At that point, you have nothing more than an enhanced DOS prompt.
Programs that need the workload or presentation manager will not function.

We went into our lab, and booted from a diskette, and tried to start CMSTART.
After we located a DLL that it was looking for, and also OSO001.MSG, the comma
nd would begin to start, but would not complete - it just sat there.  CMSTART
expects to be able to start other tasks, and of course it can't.  So I believe
that my OS/2 guys are correct.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com