ADSM-L

Re: Backing up Secured NTFS File Systems Using SYSTEM ACCOUNT

1996-08-19 02:29:24
Subject: Re: Backing up Secured NTFS File Systems Using SYSTEM ACCOUNT
From: Mattern Chuck <cam03 AT HOMEDEPOT DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 02:29:24 -0400
   From: Jane Vaughn <Jane_Vaughn AT PCMAILGW.ML DOT COM>

        I've been backing up my e:\drive successfully for many months.
        I recently converted the drive to an NTFS file system from FAT
        (and upgraded to NT 4.0 at the same time).  Then, I added
        security to some of the data, allowing access only to my logon.

        At that time, my daily incremental backups (scheduled) started failing
        with this message:

        ANS4147E Drive E: is an invalid drive specification

I suspect that you need to explicitly give SYSTEM access to your
filesystems.  I understand that on NT even the administrator id cannot
read files it does not have access to.  (Although it could take
ownership of them and then do whatever it pleased.)  Anyway, give that
a try.

Regards,
Chuck