ADSM-L

Re: Trouble doing backup on a hsm disk.

1996-08-16 14:54:06
Subject: Re: Trouble doing backup on a hsm disk.
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:54:06 -0400
>        I get a segmentation fault when trying to backup a hsm disk using
>dsmc or dsm.  I am running  ADSM/6000 server Version 2, Release 1, Level
>0.8/0.8, AIX client 2.1.4 and aix 4.1.4.  Dsmc processes 11,500 files,
>then dumps core.  Dsm does the same, except a box comes up that says
>'Process killed'.  Both client programs work fine on non hsm disks.  I tried
>deleting the filespace and re backing up the hsm disk, but got a similar
>result....about 11K files backed up, then dsmc dumped core.  Any ideas?
>Thanks.
>Mike Leuthold
>University of Arizona, Atmospheric Sciences
>leuthold AT snow.atmo.arizona DOT edu

This is a problem known to IBM.  I have two PMRs open with them regarding
this, which particularly happens when the HSM and Backup are in the same
storage pool.  I recommend that you gather info (Activity Log, client log,
dsmerror, etc.) and open a PMR on it for your case.  The more info they
have, the faster they can debug this.  A file spanning tapes seems to
precipitate the problem, as ADSM gets sick trying to read and write to
the same tape.
      Richard Sims, Boston University OIT