ADSM-L

Re: Q: 3494/3590 problem: HELP

1996-08-13 04:33:07
Subject: Re: Q: 3494/3590 problem: HELP
From: Mark Springer <mspringer AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:33:07 -0400
>      Cannot tell what type of system you have the 3494/3590 connected to,
>      but if it is a UNIX system, I start by using the command

Yep, it's AIX 4.1.4 on a 76 node SP2.

>      mtlib -l lb0 -qI

Couldn't get this one working, I gave the device name of the Library console
as library device but this didn't work. Couldn't find a man page of it either.

>      where lb0 is the library device.  This command will display an
>      inventory of the tapes in the library.  It doesn't use the 3590, so
>      you can get a better idea of whether the problem is with the drive or
>      the library manager.
>
>      Also, look to see if there is a tape in the 3590.  We have had
>      continual problems with a 3590 having a tape in it when someone
>      decided to shutdown or re-iventory the 3494.  The tape in the drive
>      becomes "lost" since it is not in a library slot during the inventory.
>       You may actually have to open the cabinet, eject the tape manually,
>      and put it back in through the convience I/O.

A tape was in one of the drives and we already did this but it didn't help.

>      One last item to check for is the library manager daemon if you are on
>      a UNIX system.  Use a command similar to
>
>      ps -ef |grep lmcpd
>
>      If you find it, you can kill the process and restart it.  If you don't
>      find it, then start it.

This was the golden hint! We restarted this process and now it works OK again!
ADSM looks fully operational again. Many, many thanks!

>      Those are the basic steps we use.
>
>      Stacy Lacy
>      Cargill, Inc.

Mark
Mark Springer          -        mspringer AT sara DOT nl
SARA - Academic Computing Services Amsterdam
Home-page SARA: http://www.sara.nl/
Postal address: Postbus 94613, 1090 GP  Amsterdam
Telephone: +31 20 - 592 3010
Telefax:   +31 20 - 668 3167