ADSM-L

Re: Q: 3494/3590 problem: HELP

1996-08-13 03:09:11
Subject: Re: Q: 3494/3590 problem: HELP
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:09:11 +0200
Your problem seems to be, that one of your 3590 tape drives is broken,
and if the ADSM-server decides to use this device for an activity, this
activity can not be finished. Other activities, where another tape drive
is selected, may work perfectly.

> ..
>
> More error-messages on the first of our four 3590 Tape-drives:
>
> FID1 E4            <BIG letters>
> call for service
> A140 A140 23F2
>
> ..

Yes, I have also seen this here. Perhaps you can solve this problem by
turning the power of this device off and on again. This helped for me
once, but at another occurence of a similar problem, I had to do what
the display suggests to do: I called the service. Major parts of the
device had to be replaced.

In the meantime, prevent the ADSM-Server from accessing this device:

delete drive <libr-name> <device-name>

Before doing that, you may want to use the command "q drive" to obtain the
information, which you need to define the drive again when it is repaired.

You will probably also have to reduce the mount limit in the associated
device class:

update dev <device-class> mountl=3

Hope this helps.

Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Universitaetsrechenzentrum, Einsteinstrasse 60, 48149 Muenster, Germany
E-Mail: mersch AT uni-muenster DOT de                   Phone: +49(251)83-2488