ADSM-L

Re: Number of files per hour??

1996-08-12 11:22:38
Subject: Re: Number of files per hour??
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,Corp,US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 11:22:38 -0400
Michael,
        Take a look at the TXNGROUPMAX parameter on the server side and
TXNBYTELIMIT on the client side.  The TXNGROUPMAX parameter tells ADSM
how many files to accept between commit points... since you're
transferring a lot of small files which will be causing a lot of ADSM
database activity, increasing this should help.  I believe the default
for this is 40 with a range of 4 to 256.  The TXNBytelimit specifies the
byte limit (in KB)  when batching files within a transaction on the
client side.. default is 300 KB with a maximum of 25600.  Both of these
parameters can affect the recovery log size so keep an eye on that when
you make any changes.  Also check to see whether you have compression
enabled or not.  If these files do not compress well and you have
compression enabled, this will cause a lot of retransmissions.  For
instance, if you compression enabled and the 99th file out of a batch of
100 'grows' when compressed, the entire group of 100 files gets
retransmitted uncompressed.  If you see a lot of retransmissions you're
better off disabling compression.

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com