ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Oracle Shutdown

1996-08-08 12:11:39
Subject: Re: ADSM and Oracle Shutdown
From: John Howard <John_Howard%PMUSA AT NOTES.WORLDCOM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 12:11:39 -0400
Todd,
       We do not shut Oracle databases down to do tape backups in our SAP/R3
environment; we are 24 by 7.   This relies on the backup mode function of
Oracle; it's not a function provided by ADSM.   What we do is what is
recommended by SAP in an Oracle/ADSM enviroment.
        We use SAP's DBA Tools (brbackup) to "manage" the backup.  These
utilities simply make a call to Oracle to put it into backup mode, then calls
ADSM to back up the data files, etc.   While in backup mode, the Oracle
database files are still readable, but any changes or writes are made to
separate Oracle redo files.  When the ADSM jobs complete backing up the Oracle
data files, the SAP utility triggers the Oracle database to go back into normal
mode, which causes Oracle to automatically apply all changes in the redo files
to the main data files.   (SAP uses the BACKINT interface product for ADSM
(available from IBM) to make it possible to interface SAP utilities to ADSM to
make the calls required.)
       Being in backup mode, and returning to normal mode, does impact system
performance, but it is acceptable, and users can still do their jobs.  It's
especially acceptable considering that the alternative is to shut down the
database.
       I'm certain that the SAP utilities are not required to handle putting
Oracle in backup mode, triggering ADSM, etc., but that's the way we're doing it
for now.
      I'm not the best person here to discuss details about the actual system
jobs, but we have other folks who can provide more detailed information about
the backup jobs.
              John  Howard