ADSM-L

ADSM DR questions

1996-08-07 15:14:12
Subject: ADSM DR questions
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 12:14:12 MST
> - Is the BACKUP STGPOOL command a function of V2?
Backup Stgpool was introduced in ADSM V2.  It is not available in V1.

> - Do we need to use the EXPORT SERVER function for V1?
If you must remain at V1, Export Server would be an option.  There are other
possibilities such as storing your files on servers at two different locations.
V2 contains some significant enhancements in the disaster recovery area.  If
you need disaster recovery, you should consider upgrading your MVS server to
V2 as soon as possible.

> - Does the EXPORT SERVER function support incremental backups for offsite,
>or would we have to do a full copy of our Storage Pools?
Export Server is not incremental.  That is one of the benefits of Backup
Stgpool.

> - If we need to use EXPORT SERVER, do we have to change this strategy when
>we upgrade the server to V2?
Once you migrate to the V2 server, you could continue to use Export Server,
but you probably would not want to.  You really should look into the disaster
recovery features provided with ADSM V2 and DRM, and consider using these
rather than remaining at V1.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development