ADSM-L

make offsite backup tapes in a 3494 Tape Library Subsystem

1996-08-06 10:32:25
Subject: make offsite backup tapes in a 3494 Tape Library Subsystem
From: "Eliza.Lau AT vt DOT edu" <LAU AT VTCC1.CC.VT DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 10:32:25 -0400
We have a new Magstar 3494 Tape Library Subsystem with two 3590 drives.
I am also new to ADSM and just got HSM to work a couple of weeks ago.  Now I
have to work out a backup scheme to make offsite tapes of the HSM storage pool
for disaster recovery.  The OS is AIX 4.1.4.  What I have in mind is

Week1:
> backup stgpool tapepool offsite_a
All the tapes are in one big scratch pool.  Somehow find out what tapes have
been used. Eject them and send them offsite.

Week2:
> backup stgpool tapepool offsite_b
Send tapes offsite.

Week3:
> backup stgpool tapepool offsite_c
Send tapes offsite.

Week4:
Bring offsite_a back, delete the storage pool offsite_a to clean out the
database and return the tape to the scratch pool.
> backup stgpool tapepool offsite_a
Send tapes offsite.

Cycle through the offsite sets in subsequent weeks.  Daily incremental backups
are also done to an onsite storage pool with a
> backup stgpool tapepool tapecopy

Will this scheme work?  What backup procedure do you recommend?

Q: How do I reject tapes and put them in the i/o slots in the front of the 3494?
Q: What IBM redbook on ADSM AIX client do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Eliza Lau

 Eliza Lau
 Eliza Lau
 Virginia Tech Computing Center                Internet : eliza.lau AT vt DOT
edu
 Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
 1700 Pratt Drive
 Blacksburg VA 24060                            Voice   : (540) 231-9399