ADSM-L

Re: Implementing collocation?

1996-08-01 09:56:11
Subject: Re: Implementing collocation?
From: Claudia Masters <cmaster1 AT TUELECTRIC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 08:56:11 -0500
We have implemented a plan for Disaster Recovery of  our most critical
client servers. Our ADSM server(2.1.3)  is MVS.  Our objective is to recover
critical fileserver(s) in a minimum amount of time which means as few tape
mounts as possible.

We created a "DR" node (IE, FS020DR) for each critical client server.  It
actually is set up on a different schedule.  Below is the steps we have used
to set this up.

1. Defined new Domain, Policy Set and Management Class.

2. Defined a copy group.  Initial backup will back up all files, so we
basically started with a full backup without copying old data over. This
allowed us to retain all our daily backups, our weekly DR backups will only
have the most current version of a file.  Of course, you can choose to
maintain as many backups as you want.

3. Set up a separate primary storage pool  with a copypool. The tape primary
pool is set up with collation. The copypool is not set up with collocation
and will be sent offsite.

4. Created new DR nodes for the selected fileservers. ( Which means each
client server  has 2 nodes).   This had to be done in order to keep the same
management policies on daily backups.  An ADSM node can only be assigned to
one Policy Domain.. We wanted to be able to restore active versions of files
without a large number of tape mounts.

5. Defined a new schedule for the disaster recovery pool and associated new
DR node.

6. On the client server side a second scheduler was started with the
-NODE=newDRnode in the parameter setting.
7.  Allow access so the original node can restore from the new DRnode backups.
7.  Allow access so the original node can restore from the new DRnode backups.

We have backups from both nodes (IE FS020 and FS020DR).  We can actually do
a full restore with our DR node with minimal tape mounts, then apply
incrementals from the FS020 node.

This doesn't exactly fit your criteria, but you may be able to use some of
this to implement the requirements for you environment.  Hope it helps.