ADSM-L

Implementing collocation?

1996-07-30 22:52:39
Subject: Implementing collocation?
From: Jeff Brooks <JEFF AT WVNVM.WVNET DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 22:52:39 EDT
Because we're implementing offsite backups for 4 of our 80
ADSM nodes, using EXPORT NODE on a VM Version 1 server
(*please* IBM send ADSM Version 2 for VM!), we get a _lot_
of tape mounts when we do the export, although at the
latest server PTF level, the run-time is otherwise OK.

I'd like to implement collocation for just our four RS/6000
servers, leaving all our desktop systems with collocation
off to minimize tape mounts during our daily backups.  I
have created a new policy domain for our servers, including
a separate storage pool with COLLOCATE=YES.  When I switch
the servers to the new policy doman, their backups will
start going into the new collocated storage pool.  Questions:

 1. Is there some way to move the _existing_ files in ADSM
    storage pools for these servers into the new collocated
    storage pool?

 2. Is the separate policy domain the right way to do all this,
    or should I be reorganining this at a different level of
    the storage hierarchy?

   Jeffrey A. Brooks                  (304) 293-5192
   IBM Systems Group                  jeff AT wvnvm.wvnet DOT edu
   West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing
   Morgantown, West Virginia  26505