ADSM-L

Re: Devclass

1996-07-31 15:14:00
Subject: Re: Devclass
From: Brian Johnson <smbxj01 AT OSMF.BT.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 12:14:00 -0700
DEBRA L YODER guser wrote:

>   -> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU     MAIL TO EXTERNAL MAIL SYSTEM   IO50C3
> Hello-
>    I'd like to update our ADSM Devclass to change the Mount Wait time
>    setting. Three questions on this:
>       1. Must this be changed via an Administrator command through
>          the Administrator Command line or is there an Administrator GUI
>          panel to update the Devclass? (I can't seem to find it)
>       2. Will this update take effect without bringing down/up ADSM or
>          must ADSM be stopped and re-started?
>       3. The Mount Wait time setting is now 5 (minutes), we're going to
>          change it to 10 (because of several times our system is in
>          a 'wait for tapes'). I see that the default is 60. Does anyone
>          (IBM or user) have a feel for what a good number would be for
>          Mount Wait time?                                 Thanks,
>                                                           Debbie Yoder
        Debbie,
        You can update the devc mount retention without halting the
        server.

        The number you choose depends on the situation. For example
        if you have many clients being backed up one after the other
        it is advantageous to have the tapes already mounted and ready
        so a higher number would be good.

        However if you run backups with large gaps of time in between
        them, then you may want to ensure that no tapes are mounted.

        We at BT use 15 minutes mount retention time, it seems to work
        for us O.K.