ADSM-L

NetWare restore "feature" ????

1996-07-30 13:36:41
Subject: NetWare restore "feature" ????
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 13:36:41 -0400
Date:     July 30, 1996            Time:    12:50
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (203) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
It would appear that some operands on some commands with the NetWare client
It would appear that some operands on some commands with the NetWare client
reset the defaults for that command.   Case in point - I issue the following
command:

I.     RESTORE SYS:ADSM -REPLACE=ALL

the result of this will be to replace all of the modules in the directory,
including the read only ones, since I said ALL.

upon completion of the first command, I issue the following command:

2.    RESTORE SYS:ADSM

I would expect that, since I did not specify a replace option, it should
prompt me for whether I in fact want to replace each file.  In fact, it
replaced all of them, apparently because the previous command had specified
Replace=all.

It would appear to me that the client is being to gratuitous here - I can find
no mention in the manual that by coding the replace option once, I get it for
all commands issued in the same session.  In fact I would prefer it to go back
to the default, unless there is a way to override the defaults (perhaps via a
SET command).  What do the rest of you think?

OH YES - the above example has one "gotcha" in it (at least on my NetWare 3.11
test server) - when I execute the above command - it hangs on DSCAMENG.TXT.
The result is that when it gets to the file DSCAMENG.TXT, I receive the
following message:  TSA311 4.6 307 A file cannot be opened.  The DSMERROR log
has a more explicit message - the file is in use and cannot be opened.  Has
anyone seen this occur on other releases of NetWare?  I can understand it not
restoring  an "in use" file, but I would prefer that it skipped it and went on
in this case, the client stopped processing, but did not return to a dsm>
prompt.  The session showed an Idle Wait, and was canceled when the 15 minute
idle timer popped.
Jerry Lawson