ADSM-L

Tape sense data

1996-07-29 11:53:00
Subject: Tape sense data
From: Tom Denier <tom AT STAFF.UDC.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 11:53:00 -0400
My site is running ADSM Version 1 under AIX. We use 3490E cartridge drives
for some of the storage pools and for DUMP DB and EXPORT operations. ADSM
occasionally reports tape I/O errors. When it does this it generates
message ANR8383E, which includes several dozen bytes of hexadecimal
sense data. Is the meaning of this data documented somewhere? I found a
description of sense data formats in one of the manuals supplied with
the 3490E, but there is no obvious correlation between this description
and the data ADSM is reporting. For example, the 3490E manual claims
that one of the sense bytes is always X'2E', but none of the byte
positions in my collection of ANR8303E messages consistently has that
value.