ADSM-L

Safe use of scratch tapes

1996-07-22 14:30:50
Subject: Safe use of scratch tapes
From: Tom Denier <tom AT STAFF.UDC.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 14:30:50 -0400
We are currently running ADSM Version 1 and not using scratch tapes at
all. Tape storage pools are defined with MAXSCRATCH=0, and DUMP and
EXPORT operations are run with explicit volume lists and SCRATCH=NO.
We are considering using scratch tapes in the future. What, if any,
protection does ADSM provide against mounting an ill-chosen scratch
tape? For example, will it reject a purported scratch tape that is
part of a tape storage pool? We do not have an automatic tape
library (it appears that a lot of ADSM features for tracking the status
of tapes are available only for automatic libraries).