ADSM-L

db2/6000

1996-07-18 14:40:56
Subject: db2/6000
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 14:40:56 EDT
Here is some information from IBM Toronto about Michael's DB2/6000
concerns.  It might be of interest to others....thanks to Dale McInnis
from IBM Toronto for such a quick response.  thanks, Cyndie Behrens
The ADSM Backup image naming convention was changed in V2 in order to
provide support for both full and tablespace backup images.  We had
no choice but to change the naming convention, there is only so
much we can do with the filespace naming limitation imposed by ADSM.
If you can think of a better way of naming the images please let
me know.  I am always open to suggestions.

Yes the db2adutl tool was created to simplify the management of
the DB2 images on the ADSM server.  This is a direct result of the
change in the naming convention.  This utility can be run as a
cron job thus removing the "burden" from the client and automating
the process.  That is why we added features like KEEP n copies
and OLDER THAN n days.

I am not an ADSM developer, so I can not address your concern
regarding the mounting of tape when deleting backup images.

The EXTRACT option was requested by another customer who needed
to send a backup image to a remote site and only had ADSM backups.
Data is ONLY transferred to the client if you use this option.
If you ask us to delete a backup image we DO NOT transfer any
data back to the client.

In order for you to free up the ADSM space you must make sure
that your ADSM server is configured correctly.  Namely, you must have
the backup copy group configured so that the number of versions to
keep if the client data is deleted is 0.  Then on an hourly basis
the ADSM server will check and see what can be freed up and any
space used by deleted backup images will be returned.  I agree that
our manuals are not a good as they should be regarding ADSM support
and we are working on this in our next release.

We have many customers running V2 in production using ADSM as their
backup target and they are able to manage the changes introduced
with this new release.