ADSM-L

Handling of character special files, block special files, or FIFO files

1996-07-17 19:50:20
Subject: Handling of character special files, block special files, or FIFO files
From: "Belcher, Tamera L" <Tamera.Belcher AT PSS.BOEING DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 16:50:20 -0700
The README file for the HPUX 10.x client code has the following
statement in the KNOWN PROBLEMS section:

*       ADSM backups up regular files and directories.  It does not backup
character files, block special files or FIFO files (named pipe files).
Raw devices are not supported at this time.

Can anyone shed some light on different ways to provide recovery of
these files with as little pain and intervention as possible?

We are running ADSM 2.1.7 on an MVS server.  We are attempting to
support an environment of approximately 8000 large file servers.  The
requirement is to provide full system disaster recovery capability with
as few tools as possible.  (The real desire is to have ADSM be the only
tool).

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
*       Tammi Belcher
*       Enterprise Storage Management
*       ADSM Support
*       Phone: 865-5804