ADSM-L

Re: User quotas, large capacity devices, etc.

1996-07-17 16:47:00
Subject: Re: User quotas, large capacity devices, etc.
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 16:47:00 -0400
Text item: Body.822
Regarding your item 3, you didn't say what your server platform is.  For
the S/390 servers, tape robots provide huge capacity.  One StorageTek 4400
silo can hold 6,000 cartridges.  16 silos can be cluster together.  256
clusters can be attached to a system.  If each cartridge is a 3490 extended
length, then figure 800 meg / cart.   Doing all the math give 19,000 T.
All you need is the floorspace and mega$!  If you use STK's helical scan
drives, then refigure at 20G / cart.  Since IBM now markets STK's dasd, I
am wait for the other shoe to drop and for STK to start bolting 3590's onto
their silos.