ADSM-L

Re: adsm client on digital unix (formerly dec osf/1)

1996-07-11 04:55:25
Subject: Re: adsm client on digital unix (formerly dec osf/1)
From: Dave Tetreault <davet AT URIACC.URI DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:55:25 -0400
On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Rusty Wright wrote:

> I'm running Digital Unix V4.0; I'm pretty sure I was also having this
> problem with V3.2c.  The version number that dsmc spits out is
>
>         Command Line Backup Client Interface - Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.3
>
> I'm running the dsmc program in schedule mode; the line from the rc
> file is
>
>         ${ADSM_PROG} schedule -quiet &
>
> (Where ADSM_PROG is previously defined to point to the dsmc
> executable.)
>
> The rc file that is starting it was named S95adsm.
>
> The problem was that every time the system rebooted the dsmc process
> wasn't started, although according to the "echo" lines in the rc file
> it was.  Also, nothing was being recorded in either the sched.log or
> dsmerror.log files.

SNIP
I have had the same problem with ADSM and sereral other programs such as
LSOFT's listserv.  The problem does not really appear to be stdout etc.
I wrote a little frontend which redirected output to /dev/null but this
did not help.  By looking at the code in programs that did not show this
behavoir I chanced upon a solution.  The problem seems to be the
controlling terminal.  In my current frontend I disassociate from the
controlling terminal using ioctl TIOCNOTTY.  It is also possible that
using nohup to run adsm would work but I needed other features in my
little daemonizer so I never tried it.  Code is available on request.