ADSM-L

AIX tape management to use with ADSM ??

1996-07-09 10:22:33
Subject: AIX tape management to use with ADSM ??
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 09:22:33 -0500
We are running an AIX system that is growing in leaps and bounds and the whole
tape issue is getting away from us quickly.

We have a serious need not only for backup/archive and space management for
our users... but it seems a regular tape management product as well.  Our
users receive and catalog many outside tapes with research data on them.
The tapes must be retained for some number of years.

I would really like one product that does it all... but ADSM is not really a
tape manager and cannot handle catalog of outside tapes.  What does anyone else
use for this type of environment ??  Do you use ADSM with something else... or
do you find all of the ADSM function PLUS tape management in another product ??
What type of tapes do you use as well ??  I think we need to get into something
that can be scaled up and automated as we expand.

(we are running AIX 4.1.4)

And last question on ADSM and the Space Management Feature in AIX.  Why does it
also require the AIX SNA server product ??? I strictly use TCPIP, is there
something I am missing here ??
Thanks,
Susan McClure
Rice University