ADSM-L

Re: ADSM/2 Server Problems

1996-07-04 23:49:29
Subject: Re: ADSM/2 Server Problems
From: Andrew Glynn <aglynn AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 22:49:29 EST
** Reply to note from Jeffrey Mathers <matherj AT ROCKVAX.ROCKEFELLER DOT EDU>
07/02/96  6:10pm -0400

> > To:           Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
> > EDU>
>
> This is really weird:
>
> Running the ADSMSDI.EXE program, which determines is a tape device is
> ADSM compatible, reveals that there is a compatible tape device on
> adapter #1 SCSI ID 2. ADSMSDI call this tape12$.
>
> The only problem is that prior to this the tape was called tape02$. Isn't
> the first adapter called 0? I haven't made any hardware changes. All I
> did was move ADSM, install WarpServer, and move ADSM back. There is only
> one SCSI adapter in the computer. There are two SCSI drives and one
> CD-ROM as well. These drives were in the system before the software
> changes.
>
> What is the easiest way to fix this problem?

The only way is to tell ADSM that your tape is now tape12$.  The first SCSI
card reports itself to any driver written to OS2SCSI.DMD that it is boa
rd 1,
not board 0 as
in previous versions.  I reported this discrepancy during the
Warp Server beta and there is an APAR out on it, but the fix didn't make the
release.

Apparently the problem cropped up during the SCSI driver rewrite, which
speeds up SCSI operations (and lowers CPU use) while also allowing Warp
Server to overcome the 16mb limitation when using 24bit DMA cards (such as
ISA adaptec's).

Given the increase in throughput (around 30-35% in our benchmarks) it's
probably worth the hassle <sigh>.

Andrew Glynn
Technical Director
Carmel Graphic Systems