ADSM-L

Re: AIX and AUTOMOUNT

1996-06-26 07:44:35
Subject: Re: AIX and AUTOMOUNT
From: Dirk Kastens <dkastens AT RZ.UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 13:44:35 +0200
On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Bernd Dammann wrote:

> No, it doesn't (as I already pointed out earlier this year, and also
> in a reply yesterday).  I was quite disappointed when I found out
> that ADSM doesn't support automount'ed filesystems under AIX.  With a
> cluster of several IBM workstations I thought about taking the backups
> from a central point (our main server, that has also the tapes
> connected to it).  But that didn't work, so I had to purchase a
> license for every workstation in the end.  Funny enough, it is
> possible to do a restore to automount'ed filesystems!

I've just tested it out and - IT WORKED!
My configuration:
   serverA: RS/6000, AIX 4.1, ADSM-Server
   serverB: RS/6000, AIX 3.2.5, ADSM-Client
   serverC: RS/6000, AIX 3.2.5
serverC exports /etc via NFS.
serverB mounts serverC:/etc on /home/root/serverC.etc via automount, what
means that the automount daemon is running on serverB.
On serverB I added the entry
   AUTOMOUNT    /home/root/serverC.etc
to the dsm.sys file, and the entry
   DOMAIN       /home/root/serverC.etc
to the dsm.opt file.
When I start dsm on serverB (the ADSM client), I see both filesystems
/home/root/serverC.etc and /tmp_mnt/home/root/serverC.etc in the
filesystem list, what means that the automounter automatically has
mountet the remote file system, which can be proved by running the
mount command on serverB. Of course I made sure that the remote filesystem
hasn't been mounted before I startet dsm.
Now it was no problem to backup the file /home/root/carina.etc/hosts (for
example) to serverA.

Regards,

Dirk Kastens _______________Dirk.Kastens AT rz.Uni-Osnabrueck DOT DE
Universitaet Osnabrueck     Phone: +49/541/969-2347 (work)
Rechenzentrum               Fax:   +49/541/969-2470 (work)
Albrechtstr. 28             Phone: +49/541/258182   (private)
49069 Osnabrueck
Germany