ADSM-L

Re: Security doubt

1996-06-26 04:30:28
Subject: Re: Security doubt
From: Heiko Andresen <andresen AT DRESDNERBANK DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 10:30:28 +0200
>=20
> I am having a hard time figuring out how to provide security for backup
> up files on HP workstations.  I can, as a normal user, launch dsm
> and restore anyone's files to my directory, even if I had no read acces=
> to them before they were backed up. I notice that the option menu of ds=
> lists me as user id: root <virtual>.  Isn't there a way to prevent all
> users from having access to any files that are archived or backed up? I
> am unable to find an option for dsm.sys or dsm.opt that connects me
> as user id: "me" instead of root.  Obviously the client node password
> is useless if the command to do scheduled backups is:
> "dsmc schedule -password=3Dguesswhat" Any suggestions?

Security is one thing that is not well described or even discussed in the
docu of ADSM, it might be a topic for a red-book. On UNIX-boxes you have
some possibilities to administer the permissions: E.g. if you don't want
that any users except root call adsm, you'll have to set -r-x------ to
/bin/dsm (or whereever dsm and dsmc are located).

--=20
   ***     Heiko Andresen            Internet: andresen AT dresdnerbank DOT de
   ***     Heiko Andresen            Internet: andresen AT dresdnerbank DOT de
  ** **    Dresdner Bank AG             Voice: ++49 69 263 10276
 **   **   OR IT-SY B                     FAX: ++49 69 263 5062
  *****    Windm=FChlstr. 14
           D-60301 Frankfurt am Main