ADSM-L

Re: AIX and AUTOMOUNT

1996-06-25 15:39:51
Subject: Re: AIX and AUTOMOUNT
From: Bernd Dammann <bernd AT FKI.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 19:39:51 +0000
On Jun 24,  4:01pm, Dirk Kastens wrote:
> Subject: Re: AIX and AUTOMOUNT
> On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, Andrew M. Raibeck wrote:
>
> > Currently the AUTOMOUNT option in ADSM is for SUNOS/Solaris. I am not a
> > UNIX expert by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I read on
> > this option, it refers to a feature unique to SUNOS/Solaris. Does AIX
> > have a similar feature? I don't know. I recommend you take this
> > question up through your AIX support channels as this sounds like an
> > operating system question/requirement.
> >
> > At any rate, if AIX doesn't support such a feature, then the AUTOMOUNT
> > option doesn't apply. And as it stands now, it is documented to work with
> > SUNOS/Solaris only.
>
> AIX also has an automount feature. The automount daemon automatically
> mounts a file system on /tmp_mnt and creates a symbolic link to this
> location. I haven't experimented with ADSM's AOUTOMOUNT option yet,
> but I assume that it will work.

No, it doesn't (as I already pointed out earlier this year, and also
in a reply yesterday).  I was quite disappointed when I found out
that ADSM doesn't support automount'ed filesystems under AIX.  With a
cluster of several IBM workstations I thought about taking the backups
from a central point (our main server, that has also the tapes
connected to it).  But that didn't work, so I had to purchase a
license for every workstation in the end.  Funny enough, it is
possible to do a restore to automount'ed filesystems!

Regards, Bernd

--
# Bernd Dammann          <bernd AT fki.dtu DOT dk> | "Why stop now,
# Bernd Dammann          <bernd AT fki.dtu DOT dk> | "Why stop now,