ADSM-L

ADSM on UNIX -- Options question

1996-06-25 11:26:36
Subject: ADSM on UNIX -- Options question
From: "Scott D. Courtney" <courtney AT TIMKEN DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:26:36 EST
I have been very impressed with ADSM's capabilities since we
started using it to back up all of our UNIX servers, but I have
run across a couple of issues that I am not sure how to handle.
Can anyone help?  Here are the questions:

1.  Our administrator has elected (wisely, IMO) to force data
    compression on.  However, we have a fairly large number of
    files in certain particular filesystems that are already
    efficiently compressed by the application.  This results in
    two or often three attempts to send each file, because ADSM
    detects that the file grew during compression and retries.
    How can I tell ADSM from the client end that these files are
    already compressed?  Better yet, (IBM, are you listening?) it
    would be nice if ADSM clients ran the compression test before
    even attempting to send the file, so that the first attempt
    at getting the data on the wire would never fail from this
    cause alone.
2.  We are about to change permission bits only (no file
 change)
    on eleven gigabytes of CAD drawings.  How can I tell ADSM that
    it doesn't need to back up all of this data again, just the
    directories themselves?  Or is this automatically detected?

Thanks in advance for any advice folks can provide, and thanks
again to IBM form making a backup product that has saved my butt
on several occasions :-)  .

"Today is always Version 1.0"          Scott D. Courtney,
"Today is always Version 1.0"          Scott D. Courtney,
     -- seaQuest DSV episode           Senior Programmer/Analyst
                                       The Timken Company
OS/2 Warp Connect:                     Information Technology Mgmt.
Where I want to go today!              e-mail "courtney AT timken DOT com"