ADSM-L

Re: Running Multiple Schedules

1996-06-19 09:14:18
Subject: Re: Running Multiple Schedules
From: Kirsten Gloeer <Kirsten.Gloeer AT RZ.UNI-KARLSRUHE DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 15:14:18 +0200
> Frank Rehor asks:
>

> >Is it possible for a client to process more than one schedule concurrently?
>
> The simple answer is "no." The first schedule must run to completion before
> the ADSM scheduler will kick off the second schedule, and then only if the
> window for the second schedule is still available (so plan accordingly).
>
> There are a couple of work-arounds that come to mind that you can try:
>
> 1) Register two node names for the machine and associate one with schedule A
>    and the other with schedule B. Run two iterations of the ADSM scheduler.
>    You may need to play around environment variable settings for one of the
>    nodes if you need different dsm.opt files, or build a script to copy
>    dsm.opt.A to dsm.opt and start the scheduler, then copy dsm.opt.B to
> dsm.opt
>    and start the second scheduler. Or play around with the environment
>    variables. Whatever works.
>
>    The drawback here is that you'll have to use node A to restore or retrieve
>    files backed up or archived by node A, and node B to restore or retrieve
>    files backed up or archived by node B. This can be confusing.
>
> 2) Use a non-ADSM scheduler (like 'cron') to run whatever 'dsmc' commands you
>    wish. This should allow you to run concurrent iterations of 'dsmc'.
>
>    The drawback here is that you've got to develop a secondary scheme for
>    scheduling ADSM events, and that complicates the tracking of said events.
>
> Andy Raibeck
> ADSM Level 2 Support
> 408-256-0130

We've tried approach 1 with two servers.

We registered two node names, Na and Nb, for the client and associated
one with schedule A of server A and the other with schedule B
of server B. Our two dsm.opt-files are in separate directories.
Each of the dsm.opt-files contains the nodename option.

Before starting schedule X we set the environment variable
DSM_LOG to the directory where the dsm.opt-file with nodename Nx is in
and the environment variable DSM_CONFIG
to the dsm.opt-file with nodename Nx.

It works.

Kirsten Gloeer                  e-mail: kirsten AT nic DOT de
Kirsten Gloeer                  e-mail: kirsten AT nic DOT de
University of Karlsruhe         Phone:  +49 721 608-6156
Computing Center                Fax:    +49 721 373741
Zirkel 2
76128 Karlsruhe
Germany