ADSM-L

Re: Need info to complete 5220 Ethernet config

1996-06-19 04:28:10
Subject: Re: Need info to complete 5220 Ethernet config
From: "H.G.Borrmann" <borrmann AT IBM1.RUF.UNI-FREIBURG DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:28:10 +0200

> I'm missing some documentation on completing the configuration of a 5220
> Ethernet card in a 3494 tape library industrial computer (ValueLine PS/2) and
> wonder if someone can help...
>
> The "System Summary" display at the 3494 operator station shows:
>          LAN attach ports: Not installed.
> and so the "LAN options" Commands menu selection is grayed out.
>
>     I ran LANCHECK in the Service Window to determine how far the installation
> got and needs to go.  It says that basic hardware and addressing work has been
> done, but: "HOSTINIT has not been run.  See section 10.5 of the Library
> Manager Installation Instructions ("Install 3494 Host Device Driver
> Features")".  I never saw any such instructions provided with any of the 3494
> hardware installation material.
>
>     The stapled LAN adapter installation sheaf ("Installation Instructions -
> 5220 Ethernet LAN Attachment", Doc. 05H4083) alleges in its section 4.3 that
> it has with it three Appendixes, with Appendix A being a repro of the Install
> instructions referenced by LANCHECK; but there was some lapse in quality
> control such that in reality the needed appendixes are not being sent with
> this document.
>
>     So I'm stuck without info to complete the LAN configuration.  If anyone
> has information on running the documentationless HOSTINIT process, could you
> please email directly to me?
>
>            thanks, Richard Sims, Boston University OIT

we had the same problem. The documentation shipped with the library is
wrong and incomplete.

I've a fax with the following advices:

shutdown the library manager. You should get a shutdown panel.
select the service window button.
a service window should open. The password you must enter should be
  SERVICE.
now type HOSTINST.
the rest should be straightforward. DO NOT FORGET TO PLACE A CHECKMARK
  IN THE ENABLE LAN ADAPTER BOX.
--