ADSM-L

Re: Trouble with using 8mm tape drives

1996-06-13 18:16:34
Subject: Re: Trouble with using 8mm tape drives
From: Janet Curtis <udpjcc AT AZURE.USI.UTAH DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 16:16:34 -0600
Space management is *not* supported under the version of ADSM that they
ship.  However, IBM does have a version available for ftp access that
does support space management (HSM) under AIS 4.1.

Yes,  we know all about having the /etc/vfs stuff blown away.  It wasn't
fun.  As my post states, I actually have the space management working, as
long as my space management storage pool is disk.

What I am having trouble with is getting ADSM to write to the 8mm tape3
drive(s) using the backup/archive client.

I tried doing a backup *before* adding space management to a filesystem,
I've tried doing a backup of a space managed filesystem (as per the
documentation on the HSM client), I've tried doing a backup of a non-
space managed filesystem (/usr).  I can write a tar tape just fine.
I can read a tar tape just fine.  I can't get ADSM to write more than
a few MB (12 was the most I have managed, at last count) without and
error.

Looking at errpt, I see SCSI interface errors.  I almost wonder if
ADSM is assuming newer hardware than I have (this is an *olllld* system
we have been using to see if things are going to work before we spend
the big bucks on the hardware to set up a decent sized (100GB disk,
1 TB of tape) HSM system) and trying to use unsupported SCSI commands.

I'm not having fun.

But thanks for your interest.

Janet
udpjcc AT usi.utah DOT edu